June 12, 2009

Featured Seller: Wovenstones

June 12, 2009
Check out Wovenstones' shop here
.
Tell me a bit about your mommy life:I have one son who is now 15. I have always been a stay at home mom and in the last 5 years I have been a stay at home homeschooling mom. After our first year I realized that my son didn’t need me hanging over his shoulder when he did his schoolwork that I had better find something to busy myself with while I stayed near to help him when he needed it. Voila, jewelry making came into my life! A homeschooling mom in my support group was seedbeading, she taught me what she knew, I was hooked and it has just taken off from there.
So I make jewelry, sketch new designs anytime I can, and plan projects around my son’s activity and homework schedule. You can often see me at the park when we meet with our support group making some jewelry item while I chat with the other moms. Now that I have a creative outlet, my house is not any cleaner than it was before but I am a happier mom!

Tell me a bit about your shop and your creations:If I had to describe my work with one word it would be weaving. Not just weaving wire as with the Viking Knit or weaving with seedbeads but weaving multiple techniques in with each other. I have just scratched the surface with this and am always looking for new ways to bring multiple elements together to create something that is one of a kind. Sometimes I think my shop looks like a mishmash because there are so many different techniques mixed up together but that’s really what I do – I try to mix it all up to create something new.My first love is seed beading but here in the south it’s just not so popular. So I keep working on it as art – because I truly think it is art – adding new pieces here and there, but I went into wire wrapping for its sculptural aspects, its versatility and its popularity.We are still building our shop, learning better methods for the photography, and marketing. We really enjoy the response and feedback we get on Etsy, from shoppers and other shop owners.
Any time saving tips for juggling a business and motherhood?I am not very good at the juggling but I would say if I have learned anything, for me it works to break projects down into smaller parts so that I can make progress on them as I go through the day and the week. I also keep several notebooks and sketchpads around the house and with me when I am out so that I can jot down notes of projects and drawings so that I don’t have to try to remember everything in my head. I also set goals for myself, especially if I have a show coming up or a showcase on Etsy. I write down what projects I want to complete and put it on the refrigerator so I that I can plan and execute my next step. And because the whole point of my business is to express my creativity, I always try to set aside time to just experiment with a new idea or technique – that’s where the fun is!

Fun Stuff:
Coffee, tea or hot chocolate? Coffee, coffee, COFFEE!! Only if it is fresh, drip brewed espresso or French roast. Gosh we love good coffee at our house!
I am addicted to….Really good French roast coffee, Rice crackers, silver, beads, movies, dogs, and politics, not necessarily in that order.
If you could have one super power…. Oh, man, that’s easy! It would be the ability to stay up 24/7, never needing sleep. I would get so much done that way and truly be a super mom!
If I were to catch you grooving it would be to…I assume this means music. Currently its Donovan because that’s the CD I got for Mother’s Day but my staples are Bonnie Raitt, The Dixie Chicks, The Manhattan Transfer, Leslie Feist, Nickel Creek, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, and the B-52’s



Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 fabulous people said. . .:

 
Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios