September 15, 2010

Sacrifice vs. Giving

September 15, 2010
Life changes so rapidly. Yesterday I was 16 and getting my drivers license and going to the homecoming dance with the football player I am now married to. Today I am driving my oldest son to preschool and teaching him how to write his name.

Being a mother is the most wonderful and difficult job out there. We have the important job of sacrificing of our time, energy, skills, (not to mention boat-loads of sleep) for these beautiful beings that God has entrusted into our care.

Then it hit me. 

Sacrifice? This isn't sacrifice!
I willing give my time, energy, skills, and sleep to my kids.  The word sacrifice is all wrong. It emphasizes that we really don't want to do it but we have to so we do it anyways.

The correct word is . . . Give

We give of ourselves to make their world a better place.


Giving is not just for the other person.  I have been taught this principle in church and at home my entire life but it never really sunk in until this past year.
You give to others to help them, and in the process you help yourself also.

It is amazing what giving can do to your physical, mental, and emotional health.

In a talk I was listening to today the speaker said that giving has Scientifically been proven to help you live longer. It also makes you a happier person.  AND, get this. . . . It is the worlds best diet plan!!


Yep, giving to others can actually help you lose weight!

Makes sense right?  We eat when we are upset, bored, sad, lonely. . . (at least I do)
When you are giving of yourself you rarely experience these emotions.  That's where the happiness kicks in.


I  have been touched by the lives of others who have served me, and those who have been my examples (Thanks Becki). 

So who's with me? Couldn't we all use some more happiness in our lives?
Let's give back in any way we can.  Volunteer, join a good cause, or even better : help your family, friends and neighbors! That's the best place to start.

My first order of giving. . .  Making bread for unsuspecting neighbors.  Photobucket
Related Posts with Thumbnails

1 fabulous people said. . .:

becki said...

oh boy, I hope you're not thinking me. I have so much to learn and do when it comes to sacrifice and giving but I LOVED what you said. Thank you so much for sharing.

 
Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios