April 10, 2012

German Chocolate “Green” Smoothie

April 10, 2012

april 2012 005

I’m in the last week of an 8 week health challenge. My sisters, brother-in-laws, and few others have been in on it too. It is a whole life health challenge and the absolute hardest part of this challenge is that we aren’t supposed to eat sugar. No Oreo cookies, no candy bars, no Easter Cadbury Mini Eggs!! The first 2 weeks I had to give all I had to keep from diving in to the little bag of peanut butter M&Ms I had “hidden” from myself in the freezer. All of the other junk food was banished to the garbage can or the garage so I wouldn’t be tempted to eat it. Out of sight, out of mind. kind of.  I just couldn’t talk myself into throwing out perfectly good peanut butter M&Ms.

Finding ways to calm my sweet tooth has been oodles more fun that I thought it would be. I still limit sugars in general as much as I can (including all artificial sweeteners and some natural sugars) but when I just can’t say no I have found that a nutrient rich sweet treat is 100 times more satisfying than that frozen bag of M&Ms.

Since green smoothies are my new love I thought I would shake it up a bit (pun intended) and make it CHOCOLATE! Because inside the new healthier me there is still a raging chocoholic that I have to please.

april 2012 004 copy

German Chocolate “Green” Smoothie

1 banana

1/4 C. Coconut flakes

1/4 C. Walnuts

1 1/2 C. Spinach

3 T. Unsweetened cocoa powder

2T Real maple syrup  (or honey)

3/4 C. Milk of your choice (I used Silk Coconutmilk)

1 C. Ice

 

Put it all in your blender/food processor (mine is a Ninja) and blend until smooth. (The coconut flakes take the longest to blend up.)

Add more ice if desired.

april 2012 007 copy

The spinach, walnuts, and coconut and super foods packed with healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. The banana not only makes this smoothie sweet but it gives you a potassium boost. And we all know that a little chocolate can be good for you too. It has cancer and age fighting antioxidants. (yeah baby!)

Fight wrinkles and cancer and get an energy boost, all from a yummy German Chocolate “milk shake”? yes please!

Want more healthy yummy smoothie goodness? Check our Lemon Colada Smoothie, and my favorite Super Power Green Smoothie.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 fabulous people said. . .:

 
Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios